Tuesday, October 19, 2010

What Happens In Vegas...

Many of us enjoy taking vacations from our everyday lives, even if it’s just a weekend trip. I recently had a weekend road-trip planned to Las Vegas to celebrate my birthday and my sister’s birthday. The travel and tourist industry is huge, especially in one of the most talked about American cities like Las Vegas. I was more than ecstatic when the five of us had arrived at our hotel and excited to start my vacation.
We stayed in a hotel that was off the main strip of Vegas and although we knew the hotels on the strip were more luxurious than ours, we were willing to sacrifice some extravagance to save a few bucks (which we ended up using to pay for cabs anyway). When I use the term “sacrifice”, I really had no idea what I was getting in to. Our hotel was absolutely terrible. We had the worst customer service when trying to check in and we were told that one of our rooms was still not ready. We waited for about an hour in our other room and were told to check back in later. The second room was finally ready and I was ready to get settled in and rest for a minute before leaving for a night on the town. After entering the second room, which was intended for my best friend and I, we were completely disgusted with the cleanliness and upkeep of our room. The sprinkler in the bathroom was being held in place by some electrical tape and the fire alarm was hanging from the wall by its wires! Clearly I wasn’t expecting extravagant amenities but I also was not expecting blatant fire hazards either.
Aside from these safety issues, our room had obvious sanitary issues also. There seemed to be long, black hair EVERYWHERE; on the floor, in the beds, in the bathroom sink, everywhere. At the foot of one of the beds it looked like there was, what I can only assume, a blood stain. Seriously, how disgusting is that? Not only was I paying to stay in this hotel for 2 nights but the entire staff was rude about my issues and neglected my requests for a maid service.
I was not let down by a single product but by a hotel in the service and travel industry that was working toward the “American Dream” in corporate, capitalist America.

No comments:

Post a Comment